Updated September 2019
Sight Loss Shropshire provides a range of services to improve the quality of life for visually impaired people of all ages who live in Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin. Our work includes the following:
- Supporting a network of peer support groups for visually impaired people, who meet in every part of our area, by promoting and publicising their activities; providing nominal funding towards core costs, such as room rentals, and activities; and by supporting group organisers through sharing of ideas, best practice and information
- Providing information and signposting about support and services to visually impaired people; their families, carers and friends; and to professionals working with visually impaired people, such as Community Care Co-ordinators, Memory Services, residential & domiciliary care providers and Housing Associations.
- Issuing an audio information CD annually to everyone on the blind and partially sighted registers held by Shropshire Council
- Providing grants to help visually impaired people to acquire specialist aids and equipment to enable them to maintain and/or regain their independence
- Providing a volunteer-led Information Point at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital to give information and signposting about support and services, and to support the work of the Eye Care Liaison Officer
- Providing information to the Sensory Impairment Team at Shropshire Council to maintain the accuracy of the registers of blind and partially sighted individuals living in Shropshire
- In partnership with RNIB, delivering free, informal, community-based ‘Living with Sight Loss’ courses which help people to adjust to their sight condition, increase independence and boost confidence.
- Working with our partners to ensure that visually impaired people have a voice
- Organising and providing major social events for visually impaired people, such as Winter’s Day Out
SLS is a member of the See and Hear Shropshire Partnership and contributes to the planning and running of the annual See and Hear Shropshire Exhibition and is responsible for the financial management of the event, administrative support and provision of transport to the event.